Friday, March 5, 2010

Quilt show trippin'!



The Indiana Heritage Quilt Show is this weekend and I was able to get over to see it for a couple of hours today. It was my first quilt show and oh my, I was completely overwhelmed by all of the beautiful quilts. It amazes me the time, effort, work and determination that went into these works of art. I took a few pictures, no where near the amount of quilts that were displayed but a few that stood out to me and ones that I thought would be of interest to the people in my Yahoo group, StitchMap.


The photo above is of an amazing quilt. If you click on it you will get a closer view of it. I need a better camera, the fabric is not as yellow as it shows in the picture. The "strings" around the entire quilt just amazes me.




This one just cracked me up. I wish my camera had picked it up better but this 3D quilt is a quilters dream.



And here is the sign that went with it. "Where fabric grows on trees"....wow....I need trees like that! :)


This is really more brown in person. In almost each smaller block around the border are little red birds. The back of it is just as beautiful as the front. On most of the quilts the backs were just as much a work of art as the fronts.




This one was done by a man! Yay for that! I tried to get my husband to go with me but he wasn't interested. It was really nice to be able to tell him that there were several quilts done by men! The "waves" at the top of this quilt are seperate from the background piece, from what I could tell. It was hanging pretty high in the air. And then the crossed strips were hanging from the waves in front of the background piece also with the splashy waves on top of those. Very impressive. Hard to explain lol. And, very cool.



Bright and cheerful!




On this quilt, all of the red "flowers" are beads.




This is one of many very intricate quilts. Needle turn applique and needlework. Like I said, it just amazes me the time and effort put forth.




Here is a close up of the middle of that quilt. All of the purple flowers are embroidered.




A redwork quilt! It's HUGE! I LOVE it!




This quilt was not so small either but all I got was a close up because the tiny little squares were incredible. There were tons of them! And they are tiny!




This one really impressed me. It's a 12 year old's very first quilt. Pretty darn good if you ask me!




And this one impressed me equally. It's an 8 year old's very first quilt! She stated she did every single stitch herself! Her grandma helped her get started. This is wonderful! This is exactly what we are trying to do here: Keeping Needle Arts Alive!



And last but certainly not least, the one and only Crazy Quilt. I like it but it doesn't have much needlework on it. Hmm....should I make one to enter next year?! Tell me your thoughts! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment